Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: A new short?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member emjen's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 9th, 2002
    Posts
    747
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello, this is a short I'm writing, and it's the first time I'm actually starting with so much dialogue. The main character is Ben, and he's a pyromaniac.

    Please tell me what you think of this as the beginning of a (supposed to be) 20 page short.


    EXT. BRIDGE ? NIGHT

    A young man, BEN, 18, walks under a wooden bridge with a spray-can, doing his best not to get noticed. He wears a back-pack.

    He looks around and up ? there?s no one. He shakes the spray-can and starts spraying on an open spot. Ben?s eyes are full with excitement.

    ON THE SPOT
    fluid is sprayed on wood, but is invisible, slowly dripping downward.

    Ben looks through his backpack and picks out a LIGHTER. With satisfaction he lights the fluid, and watches as the fluid catches fire.

    CUT TO

    NEWSFLASH

    A female reporter stands in front of a burnt building with firemen in the background.

    REPORTER
    ?they?re extinguishing the remaining fires in the City Hall here in Amster-dam, which caused death to nine people, including the death of a fireman, John Smith, who tried to save two?

    INT. LOCKER ROOM, FIRE BRIGADE ? NIGHT

    A medium build MAN, HANK, sits in the locker room with a badge in his hands. He?s crying softly.

    Some of his colleagues walk by.

    COLLEAGUE #1
    I?m sorry Hank.

    COLLEGUE #2 places his hand on Hank?s shoulder.

    COLLEAGUE #2
    My condolences Hank. I?m really sorry.

    HANK doesn?t look up, he keeps staring at the badge in his hands. The badge belongs to JOHN SMITH.

    INT. BEN?S LIVING ROOM ? NIGHT

    The same news about the fire on his TV. Ben?s watching TV on the couch, and is shocked.

    BEN
    Oh **** .

    BEN?S MOM (OS)
    Ben? Dinner?s ready.

    Ben nods without losing sight of the TV.

    BEN
    Coming.

    EXT. STREETS, BEN?S NEIGHBOURHOOD ? AFTERNOON

    Ben?s riding on his longboard wearing his backpack, listening to his VAST music in his MD-player. Ben?s thinking about un-happy things.

    EXT. TERRACED HOUSE ? CONT?D

    Ben picks up his board and rings the doorbell. A handsome girl, SUSAN, opens.

    SUSAN
    (sad)
    Hi. Come in.

    INT. SUSAN?S BEDROOM

    A nice girl?s bedroom with bright colors. Ben and Susan sit on the bed. They both look sad.

    SUSAN
    He?s devastated.

    Ben stares downward.

    SUSAN
    I?ve never seen him like this. He?s?

    Ben sighs.

    SUSAN
    Ben?

    BEN
    Yes?

    SUSAN
    Promise me something.

    BEN
    (looks up)
    What?s wrong?

    SUSAN
    Can you make a promise?

    BEN
    Yes? it depends.

    SUSAN
    And keep the promise?

    BEN
    Well? I think so ? but you know I ?

    SUSAN
    That?s what it?s about.

    BEN
    But you know I can?t ?

    SUSAN
    Ben.

    BEN
    What?

    SUSAN
    Can you make a promise, yes or no?

    BEN
    I don?t know. I think so.

    SUSAN
    Promise me you won?t do it again. Ever.

    BEN sighs a bit agitated.

    BEN
    Susan? I?ve already told you, you know how I am. You know how it is, it?s like a?

    SUSAN
    It?s a disease Ben. You?re addicted.

    BEN
    No I?m ? I don?t know.

    SUSAN
    Ben, look at me.

    BEN and SUSAN look at each other.

    SUSAN
    Please. Stop. I don?t want to know if you?re responsible for Saturday?s fire, but you?ve got to stop.

    BEN?s eyes look at Susan.

    SUSAN
    I love you? but ?

    BEN
    But what?

    SUSAN
    But if you?re not going to stop, it?s over.

    BEN
    (surprised)
    What?

    SUSAN
    And I mean it. It?s not good for you, it?s not good for me. I promise I won?t turn you in but we?ll be through if you won?t stop now. Please promise me you?ll stop. Promise me.

    Ben looks at Susan for a moment, then holds her hand.

    BEN
    I love you.

    Susan drops a tear.

    SUSAN
    Then stop.

    BEN
    I - Okay.

    SUSAN
    What?

    BEN
    I?ll stop? I?ll stop.

    Susan smiles and hugs Ben roughly.

    INT. LIVING ROOM, DINING TABLE (LATER)

    Ben, Susan and her little 12 year old sister NICKY wait at the dinner table. Susan?s mother, MOIRA, is serving potatoes on the plates. Sound of a TV off screen.

    MOIRA
    Hank? Diner?s ready.

    The TV?s turned off.

    Ben looks at Susan. Everyone?s silently waiting for Hank to join.

    HANK (OS)
    Well what have we here? Potatoes with chicken *****t?

    We recognize Hank from the fire brigade. Hank?s unshaven and has red eyes from sleep distortion. He joins the table.

    HANK
    You can eat now.

    Hank pretends to be lively.

    They all start eating. Ben avoids eye contact with Hank and gives his full attention to his plate.

    HANK
    Moira, Moira, Moira. You?ve overdone yourself. These potatoes are the best I?ve ever eaten!

    Moira agrees smiling with a quick nod.

    HANK
    (stuffing food into his mouth)
    These potatoes can compete with grandma?s potatoes! Don?t you agree Susan?

    SUSAN
    Yeah sure dad.

    HANK
    I know you do.

    They all eat in silence for a moment.

    HANK
    Can you pass me the salad Ben?

    Ben gives the salad to Hank, still avoiding eye contact.

    HANK
    Thanks Ben.

    Ben nods.

    Hank looks at Susan and Ben and smiles.

    HANK
    Susan, Ben is a fine boy. I don?t think it would be wise to let a fine lad like Ben go.

    Susan and Ben share a quick moment.

    SUSAN
    (getting rid of Hank)
    Thanks dad.

    HANK
    No really. Have you guys already con-sidered marriage?

    SUSAN
    Dad!

    HANK
    You?re still young and your life can be over before you know it.

    An awkward silence. Moira gives Hank a look.

    HANK
    (playing with his diner)
    Don?t waste time kids. You could die tomorrow. You could get run over by a truck, get shot in crossfire, or you could choke in a burning building.

    Ben?s having difficulties eating his dinner as calm as possi-ble.

    MOIRA
    Hank.

    HANK
    What? John?s death made me realize life is a precious gift. You shouldn?t just throw it away by? with smoking, or drinking, or? you should live you know, live! I?m not going to hide the fact that my best friend died! If I want to talk about it I?m going to talk about it!

    MOIRA
    Have you been drinking Hank?

    The kids look at Hank, even Ben dares to look for an instant.

    HANK
    (agitated)
    What makes you say that?

    MOIRA
    I?m just asking.

    They continue on their dinner.

    HANK
    (looking at his plate)
    How could a building like that burst into flames? It can?t just ignite spon-taneously? Not in a fireproof building like that.

    Susan looks out of the corner of her eyes at Ben, who?s con-centrating on his dinner.

    HANK
    I think someone set it on fire. Yes, I think someone lit it. What do you think Ben?

    Ben looks up uneasy.

    BEN
    What?

    HANK
    Do you think someone set it on fire?

    BEN
    I? I don?t know. Don?t the cops know?

    HANK
    They?re researching right now. But what do you think?

    Ben feels attacked.

    BEN
    I don?t know.

    HANK
    I can see you don?t know, but what do you think?

    BEN
    I ehm?

    HANK
    You?re a funny guy Ben!

    BEN
    Huh?

    SUSAN
    Dad?

    HANK
    Ben?s a funny guy Susan! You must be happy with him. Do you know why he?s so funny? Ben, do you know why you?re so funny?

    MOIRA
    (worried)
    Hank stop it! You?ve been drinking!

    Ben looks around frightened. He looks at the door with the need of leaving.

    HANK (CONT?D)
    Because you?re so full of **** ! You?re full of **** that?s what you are! Ben?s a funny guy!

    Ben stand up with tears in his eyes. Susan quickly walks to the door knowing what Ben wants ? to get away.

    MOIRA
    Hank *******it! You?re drunk! Shut up!

    BEN
    I? I have to go?

    Moira quickly nods understanding at Ben.

    HANK
    I haven?t been drinking Moira. It?s just that I ?

    Ben walks out.

    MOIRA
    Leave it alone Hank.

    EXT. HOUSE ? CONT?D

    Ben puts his coat on and walks away. Susan stands sad in the doorway.

    SUSAN
    I?m sorry Ben.

    BEN
    (grabs his longboard and backpack)
    Bye.

    SUSAN
    Ben, don?t forget it.

    Ben walks away and looks around.

    BEN
    I won?t.

    Ben rides away on his longboard. Susan leans against the door, confused.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member SoulJacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 30th, 2001
    Posts
    612
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> A young man, BEN, 18, </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    That is just gay. I stopped reading before it began... Sorry.

    Kinda.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member redlum's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2002
    Posts
    203
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    "You could die tomorrow. You could get run over by a truck, get shot in crossfire...."

    This line cracked me up Emjen. Idont know if it was intentional but its just the way the first unexpected death scenario he lists is so obvious, and then 'get shot in cross fire' - that is great.

    Its pretty good. I just want to know more about the main character before it starts.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 13, 2003 06:30 PM: Message edited by: redlum ]</font>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •